Wednesday 5 November 2014

Getting to know … JD Smith @triskelebooks


What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
My novels are all historical fiction, the first Tristan and Iseult, based on the classic legend, and the Overlord series is based on actual events which occurred in third century Roman Syria.

What made you choose that genre?
I don’t think I could have ever chosen anything else. I read a wide variety of genres, but I don’t think I could, and nor do I have any inclination, to write anything other than historical fiction.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Tricky one, as I actually wrote the books that are currently published over a number of years, before self-publishing really took off, and the market opened up to authors. I’m currently aiming for every six months.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I tend to take a break between finishing one book, whilst it’s being edited and proofread and published, before starting the next. But I tend to try and get an hour or two writing or editing in every day.

Where do you get your ideas for your books?
Broadly speaking what has happened in the past and is documented, but more specifically I have always had a passion for the legend of Tristan and Iseult, and I discovered the Zenobia Antonia Fraser’s Warrior Queens.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I was 19, I think, so 12 years ago. It was awful and will never see the light of day.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I enjoy my job as a book designer very much, and spend an awful lot of time (and money) renovating my beautiful 19th century schoolhouse. Plus I have three children to keep me busy.

 
How many books have you written?
Three, and I’m currently working on the fourth (the third book in the Overlord series entitled The Better of Two Men).

Which is your favourite and why?
Right now, Tristan and Iseult, because it’s just been selected for the Historical Novel Society’s Indie Book of the Year 2014 – how fickle of me J



As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be an interior designer, and I still love doing that with my own house, but fate led me down the path of graphic design.

Bio
JD Smith, is an author of historical fiction, editor of Words with JAM and Bookmuse, and the mother of three mischievous boys. She publishes with the Triskele Books collective.


The Rise of Zenobia (Overlord I)
The Fate of an Emperor (Overlord II)






Critique Service for Writers
Flash 500 Home Page: Flash Fiction, Humour Verse
and Novel Opening Chapter and Synopsis Competitions

1 comment: